The participant acknowledges that she or he has thoroughly and carefully read, understands, and agrees to the following:
Participation in Training
- A significant component of the training involves clinicians practicing EMDR and related procedures in small groups under the consultation of the instructor or a qualified staff member. These practice experiences are for training purposes only and not for personal therapy. All participants should be prepared to address disturbing real life experiences as part of this training program in order to appreciate the subjective experience of EMDR Therapy as a client would and to provide valid training experiences for other participants. It is not unusual for a target memory to be linked to other, unexpected, disturbing memories or material, which might surface during or after the practice sessions. Trauma-related case material presented didactically, in consultation sessions, or on video may be disturbing to those with unresolved personal issues. In submitting their application for training, participants affirm that they have developed appropriate self-soothing and affect/arousal management skills to cope with exposure to this type of material and will be able to employ these skills as necessary during and following EMDR training, practice and consultation sessions. The trainer reserves the right to withhold or dismiss from training any participant that she/he deems unable to successfully complete the training for any reason.
Further, in reference to #1 above:
- Clinicians presently engaged in personal therapy and/or psychiatric treatment should inform their therapist and/or psychiatrist about all aspects of this training including the experiential component and secure their therapist’s and/or psychiatrist’s support to participate before beginning this training.
- Those with limiting or special medical conditions (pregnancy, heart condition, ocular difficulties, etc.) should consult their medical professionals before participating in this training and should discuss their condition(s) with the training director in advance of submitting their application to participate in the training.
- Those who presently have a dissociative disorder, acute or chronic PTSD, panic disorder, substance use disorder, personality disorder, or other potentially trauma reactive symptoms should notify the training director as part of the application for registration. Failure to advise the training director of such issues in advance could place you at risk, negatively impact other participants, and result in disruption of the training process.. Participants who are disruptive to the training process will be notified and may be asked to leave without refund, should the issue reoccur.
- Participants are expected to maintain a spirit of cooperation and mutual support for all in the training. Attention seeking and/or conflict-generating behavior is not conducive to group learning. The training director has the right to dismiss anyone who is disruptive from the training at any time without refund.
- The reprocessing of targeted incidents during practicum sessions may lead to the emergence of other disturbing memories during and after the practicum. It is the responsibility of the participant to seek, obtain and pay for appropriate professional assistance if needed. Providing such assistance is not part of the training and will not be provided by the ETC training director or staff. Clinicians who elect to do personal EMDR work can find lists of EMDR trained clinicians through www.EMDRIA.org.
- In order to assure confidentiality of personal and clinical information, audio/video recording by participants is not allowed. It is expected that all participants shall maintain the highest ethical standards of confidentiality regarding all personal and clinical information shared by others in this training. Failure to maintain confidentiality shall be treated as a professional ethics issue, and may result in immediate dismissal from the training program with no refund. Confidentiality shall apply to all training, practicum experiences and consultation sessions: specifics may be discussed only with members of the immediate consultation or practice group, the participant’s group consultant, practicum facilitator and trainer(s). In addition, a participant may share his or her own emerging material with a private therapist.
Participation in Consultation
- EMDRIA requires that you have 10 hours of consultation to obtain a certificate of completion of the EMDR Therapy Training. EMDR Training Center includes the cost of this consultation in the price of the All-Inclusive EMDR Therapy Training Course.
- This professional consultation provides the opportunity for continued learning about EMDR theory and practice. During consultation you will receive individualized instruction and feedback in the application of the EMDR procedural steps, use of EMDR within a structured treatment plan, case conceptualization, client readiness, target selection, specific application of skills, and the integration of EMDR into clinical practice. Consultation provides the opportunity to improve your overall understanding and knowledge of EMDR, the practice of EMDR skills, and integration of EMDR into your practice.
- EMDR Training Center’s training consultation usually begins two to four weeks after the completion of the training portion of the course. The consultation groups usually meet every other week on a remote basis (via phone conferencing) for 1 to 2 hours. Participants are responsible to insure confidentiality in their surrounding environment.
- It is understood that neither your consultant, nor other therapists/participants shall be construed as providing supervision to a participant on any specific case. While clinical possibilities will be discussed and ideas shared in relation to the clinical situations presented, the therapist is solely responsible for the clinical management of the client/patient and is expected to exercise his/her best judgment in all relevant clinical matters. It is also understood that whatever information is presented in these sessions is to be kept confidential among the participants both during and after your participation in the group. Participants agree to avoid disclosure of client’s names or other identifying information in making verbal presentations and in sharing written documentation of client sessions.
- The ability to practice EMDR Therapy with clients or other appropriate individuals is required in order to participate in this consultation. Consultation participants who are under supervision must receive written permission from their licensed supervisor to utilize EMDR Therapy during the consultation period. Students and interns must have approval to practice EMDR therapy through their university or agency and under the authority of their appointed supervision. This training program is not intended for managers and researchers who do not carry an active psychotherapy caseload
- As part of training and consultation you will have access to many documents which are the intellectual property of EMDR Training Center, LLC. These documents are meant for your personal and professional use. They may not be copied or disseminated to others without written permission. All documents are meant as examples only. The appropriate creation, maintenance and storage of all client information remains the individual therapist’s responsibility, in accordance with their state requirements, HIPPA regulations, and all other relevant governing agencies.
- The 10 hours of group consultation must be completed within 6 months of the training. When you sign up, you are responsible to attend. This is a professional responsibility. If you cancel within 24 hours of the consultation time, you may be responsible to pay for your late cancellation slot, as that slot is not available to others. Should you require consultation outside the 10 scheduled sessions, consultation may be provided at an additional fee of $40 per hour.
- A Certificate of Completion will be issued to all participants who satisfactorily complete the entire training and required consultation.
- This experiential training is intended to prepare clinicians to apply EMDR for clinical purposes only and will not qualify the participant to train others in EMDR. Attempts to use any of the copyrighted training material to train others in EMDR without meeting the standards as defined by the EMDR International Association would represent a violation of professional ethics and standards.
- Beginning January 1, 2017 EMDRIA requires that participants who begin the EMDR training must complete the entire training (including the 10 hours of follow-up consultation) within 24 months from their initial start date unless there are extraordinary circumstances.